Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Hair Care

I need an easy post this week, so I'm turning to something I know well - hair care tips. I'd like to say in advance: sorry (and also, you're welcome).

So, let's start out by pointing out that I have long hair.

Please excuse the bathroom selfies.

Really long. And a lot of it. And, surprisingly enough, it's pretty healthy. But how do I keep it healthy? Well, let me impart my secrets onto you, young padawan, in the form of a few tips.


1

DO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR EVERY DAY

You've probably heard this before, but that's because it's true and it's important to remember. When you wash your hair, you're washing out natural oils. And yes, it's important to shower regularly, but showering every day (or multiple times a day) can result in a dry, itchy scalp and dry hair that ultimately leads to static and breaking.

On average I wash my hair every other day; sometimes every couple of days if I'm really busy. Or lazy. It's honestly pretty low on my priority list, and I only wash my hair when I absolutely have to.

Tip: Don't want to wash your hair? Dry shampoo is nice, or you can use baby powder on your scalp (though that might leave flakes). On the other hand, you can do lots of things with up-dos and hats!



2

USE A COMB AFTER SHOWERING

It's actually probably a good idea to use a comb as often as possible in place of a brush, but it's most important after showers or whenever your hair is wet. Brushes rip tangles out and break your hair, while combs gently work through tangles.

Tip: Wide-toothed combs are the best!



3

KNOW WHICH PRODUCTS ARE ACTUALLY GOOD 
FOR YOUR HAIR - AND WHICH AREN'T

Some products don't affect your hair too much - some are even good for it! But there are a lot of products that can really damage your hair. The whole idea is that we want our hair to be in a natural state most of the time.

An easy way to remember what's generally good or bad is this: good products give more to your hair, while bad products take away. For example, deep-conditioning treatments are great because they work to restore the oils that get washed away in the water, while hairspray can be damaging because it sucks moisture out of the hair and forces it to do something it doesn't naturally do.

Tip: I recommend smoothing serums, which work as leave-in conditioners. They leave your hair soft and silky, and they often have really nice, fruity scents! Do your best to stay away from products that make your hair stiff.



4

AVOID HEAT

HEAT = BAD. Try to avoid blow-drying, straightening, or curling your hair as much as possible. Besides, you'll find that your hair looks best once you stop fighting it! Embrace your natural look!

Tip: If you do use heat, make sure to use a spray that protects your hair from heat damage.



5

GET YOUR HAIR TRIMMED REGULARLY

This is a very important step to keeping your hair healthy, and it's also important if you want to grow your hair long. Get rid of those split-ends; your hair will grow faster and look better!

Tip: I get my hair trimmed about once every six-weeks, but I'd say go once every couple of months and you're good.



6

USE SHAMPOOS THAT ARE SPECIFIC TO YOUR NEEDS

Remember that the skin on your scalp is not much different than skin on the rest of your body. It can dry out. It can get sunburned. It can get oily or flaky. If you use shampoos and conditioners that will keep your scalp healthy, you'll hardly have to do anything else.

Tip:
Oily scalp? Shampoo your hair as soon as you get in the shower and let it sit. Rinsing it out should be your second-to-last step (right before conditioning).

Dry scalp? Try to find a shampoo/conditioner with the ingredient "tea tree" in it; it works as an intensive moisturizer/healer. It also tingles. Use it until you don't feel the tingling as much, then only use it sparingly.



7

DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK YOUR HAIRDRESSER QUESTIONS

This is what they were trained to do. If you have a question, ask them. They will probably have an answer.



And that's about all I have for you today. Remember these things, oh student of mine, and you shall have great hair for eternity!*


*I cannot guarantee great hair for eternity. These are just things that have worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment